Friday, April 19, 2013

The power of a name

I am incredibly tired since its nearly 5 am here, but a few last thoughts before I go to sleep.


I am no expert on Chechnya, and I am unfamiliar with customs and practices there, such as the practice of naming children.

I do know that the first president of Chechnya (someone who would be seen as a very important person, or a hero), was named Dzhokhar Dudayev and he apparently died in the mid 1990s.

Logically doesn't it make sense that the person who has been identified as one of the Boston Marathon Bombers, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, would have been named for someone his parents admired?

He was born in 1993 or 1994, around the height of the Chechen president's popularity.

Read this obituary on Dzhokhar Dudayev, and tell me that this doesn't seem like a person a proud nationalistic Chechen would name their son

No comments:

Post a Comment